Wednesday, August 14, 2013

RUNNING HILLS

Tips on running up and down hills/

I get a lot of questions on how to take the hills during running, so I did the best thing and I asked my son to help out with this one.
Since he has been a runner from 6th grade through his Sr. year of college, he has a lot more experience with this.

Here is just a bit of what he had to say, but if you have any questions go ahead and ask. Weather it be about hills or just running in general.

I'm not a writer and I don't pretend to be so I'm just going to tell you everything I know about hill running.
This has been one of my favorite things to improve upon over the years so I hope this helps. During races it helps me to pick up the pace a little bit right before an uphill so it doesn't kill my momentum. Also it helps to take short steps and think about lifting your knees up the hill. It's also important to keep moving through the entire hill so you don't slow down at the top and lose all your momentum.
When going downhill, it's more helpful to take longer strides to utilize the downhill, go faster and use less energy all at the same time. If you're in a competitive race, hills are a great opportunity to pass other runners. They take more mental toughness in general, but it is important to stay relaxed and have quick feet especially when you're going uphill.
I should also mention that if you have any injury problems, especially with the knees, it is better to take shorter steps and slow down on the down hills to decrease the distance you're falling each step, which will lessen the pounding your knees take.
Hills are a great way to take racing to the next level and really get an edge over other runners if you can run them efficiently.
 
Brian P. Farley
 

Have an awesome day and keep running~~~




 

No comments:

Post a Comment