Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My first 1/2 Marathon

Running my first 1/2 marathon.

Making the decision to run a 1/2 marathon was a hard one, I knew for me to actually do it I needed to get signed up for one and start training.
When I found out the Biggest Loser was coming to my city with a 1/2 marathon run, I signed up.
I got my son to run this one with me, I felt more at ease knowing I will do it with someone who will hold me accountable.
I trained...... not as well as I should have.
Never did get in a long run the whole time leading up to race day, and I will not do that again.
On race day it was 30 degree's, chance of snow turning to rain, ugh.
Oh' what I would have gave to just see the sun, and feel a little warmth. By the time we started my toes were so cold, they were numb.
It didn't take long to warm up, my gloves came off a few miles into the race and I handed them off to a little girl cheering us on following the route.
About mile 7 I started to get a severe pain in my knee, I was feeling so good with this run until that moment. But I knew I had to run through the pain and just finish, I had family waiting for me and I wanted to make them proud.

Now here is my most memorable moment, at mile 12  I am pushing through the pain half walking when I see my son run towards me, he had already finished and came back to run that last mile with me. He said, you got this.....worry about the pain when you cross the finish line, don't let them see you walk. I ran the best I could across that line, and tears came down my face when then my son told me, he had placed 1st in the 1/2 marathon. He won the race!
 
What a awesome day this was, I could not be more proud of him.
The rain continued to fall, we were freezing so bad we shook while waiting for awards to be announced. But I would do it all over again for a moment like this.
It truly is a once in a lifetime feeling, and I am so Blessed with this family of mine.
I also have to give credit to my husband and my other 2 boys for waiting in the rain through all this to show their support. And for my youngest who volunteered his time to help out with the event, family......we are a Team!

Back to the little girl I handed my pink gloves off to, she was waiting for me at the finish line, congratulated me and wanted to give me my gloves back. I told her to keep them, there yours, and she had a big smile.

If you ever thought about running a 1/2 marathon, I would say do it! I am so happy I did, and I came in 15 minutes sooner than I expected to.
Do you have a moment to share from your first race??
please do.

No comments:

Post a Comment